On August 4th my wife Paige and I will celebrate 30 years of marriage together. Wow! I can’t believe how fast these years have flown by! I am so grateful to God for giving me such a Godly wife. God knew what each of us needed in a life partner and I know that HE put us together.
Without a doubt, I have to say that no one knows me better than my wife. She knows my quirks, strengths, weaknesses, and the list goes on. Even though my wife knows me better than anyone on this earth, I know that God knows me best.
Psalm 139 is a great passage of scripture that lines out some very specific details of what God knows about each of us. Here are 5 points that I’d like to stress from this passage:
- God knows us and our every action. (Verses 1-2a) O Lord, You have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I rise up.
- God knows how we use our time. (Verse 3) You scrutinize my path and my lying down and are intimately acquainted with all my ways.
- God knows our thoughts and our words before they are uttered. (Verses 2b,4) You understand my thoughts from afar. Even before there is a word on my tongue, behold, O Lord, You know it all.
- God knows us because He created us. (Verses 13-16) For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb. I am fearfully and wonderfully made. My frame was not hidden from You... In Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me...
- God knows a prayerful heart. (Verses 23-24) Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxious thoughts; And see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way.
I know that some of these points can be comforting, while others may be convicting. But please be reminded that God knows our needs as well as our hearts. His desire is
that we live pure lives that bring Him honor and glory.
I have a Maker
He formed my heart
Before even time began
My life was in his hands
He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
And He hears me when I call
(He Knows My Name - Tommy Walker)